Drafted: 1st Round, 14th Overall 2011 First-Year Player Draft by the Florida Marlins out of Braulio Alonso H.S. (FL.).
- Baseball Reference
- Fan Graphs
- MLB.com Draft Scouting Video
From MLB.com Draft Scouting Report:
"A very strong fastball-slider combination to go along with an outstanding feel for pitching and plus mound presence has Fernandez as another of the hard-throwing high schoolers hoping to hear his name called in the first round. Fernandez has been up to as high as 97-98 mph this spring and can sit comfortably in the 93-95 range. He's picked up some velocity as the spring has progressed. His slider has the chance to be an out pitch, one with late movement that is nasty at times. He's got some feel for a changeup, but it needs work and is behind the other two offerings. He's around the strike zone more often than not, with advanced control for his age. He'll have to stay on top of his conditioning, but the combination of a live arm and pitchability is a rare commodity indeed."
Career Minor League Statistics
pitching for the Class-A+ Jupiter Hammerheads:
Fernandez strikes out Phillies OF Aaron Altherr:
Fernandez strikes out Phillies 3B Maikel Franco:
Pitching in high school (thanks to YouTube user farmsystem):
Pitching in the 2010 AFLAC All-American Classic (thanks to YouTube user rkyosh007):
Pitching for the Jamestown Jammers during the 2011 NY-Penn League (thanks to YouTube user allendale101):
MLB.com Top Prospects Video for 2012:
- June 6/2011: Florida Marlins draft high school Cuban defector Jose Fernandez with first-round pick, by Tom D'Angelo @ PalmBeachPost.com.
- June 9/2011: Fernandez meets team, takes in game, by Joe Frisaro and Christina De Nicola @ MLB.com.
- Aug 15/2011: Marlins reach deal with first-round Draft pick, by Joe Frisaro @ MLB.com.
- Aug 16/2011: Marlins reach agreement with top pick, by Joe Frisaro @ MLB.com.